SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Number of site visitors

Curing dead rock

Sandman
    Charter Member

Curing dead rock

Post by Sandman on Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:00 pm

I have been reading a lot of mixed reviews and opinions on the matter of curing dead rock, so I figured I would open a thread here and get YOUR opinion.

I have 100# of VERY dead rock in a 44g Brute with a powerhead, heater at full blast, and a skimmer pulling about 1/4 cup per day. The rock has been in water for 24hrs now.

THE QUESTION:

1)When do I change the water and how much?
    2)Do I seed the rock with a few "live" pieces, and if so when?

ph:8.2
    SG:1.25
    haven't checked the rest..

justin1386@gmail.com

Re: Curing dead rock

Post by justin1386@gmail.com on Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:05 pm

Shute I don't even test it depends on how "live" you want it lol
    But usually 1-6weeks with heater/ powerhead. If you want it to get going good throw some metal halides and some polyps in there and add some "purple up" it's basically liquid calcium but carries trace elements that purple coraline algea likes. Add a few hermits to clean up the dead crap. Throw in some taro trees they speed in a few weeks.

justin1386@gmail.com

Post by justin1386@gmail.com on Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:07 pm

But ya a couple piecesof live won't hurt as well
    dwolson2
    Admin

Post by dwolson2 on Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:15 pm

You don't need to seed the rock, unless you want pods. and you can change the water 1 time after a week, other than that, don't change it.

Thats what I have read.

Also, I wouldn't put anything live(inverts) because they may not survive the amonia spike

Sandman
    Charter Member

Post by Sandman on Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:21 pm

Just changed the water that the curing rock was in. I did a 100% change, which gave me a good opportunity to pull all kinds of grass and other crap out of each piece. It took 12hrs to make the 30g to change the water, phew...

So from what I have read, I should be changing about 10-20% each week. I imagine I will cure this rock for the next 2 months or so, possible less time depending on the water para in 3 weeks.
    sisterlimonpot
    Admin

Post by sisterlimonpot on Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:37 am

I wouldn't change the water until after you have nitrates starting to rear their ugly head, allow the ammonia and nitrite to run their course, that allows for a more robust bacteria colony. keep feeding the tank with some sort of ammonia source, like I said before, my preferred method is the uncooked unseasoned shrimp.

what ever your goal is, whether it's a light bacteria colony to support a few fish in the beginning or a robust bacteria colony to support many fish right off the bat, you'll want to have the bacteria to support the waste the fish are going to produce. You definitely don't want to have too little bacteria and add too many fish all at once to find out that you don't have the bacteria to support it and then have another ammonia spike, killing your fish.

Sandman
    Charter Member

Post by Sandman on Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:22 am

I changed the water today only because the water was brown. I guess I could have checked the parameters before I did so but I will do that next time. My thought process was to clear out the initial junk that washed off the dirty rock. I am also adding the water from my DT WC's. I figured I would wait awhile before changing again as you have suggested. I am going to add a bacteria source now that I have changed the water for the first time.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:08 am